Project : 2018. 7. 01 ~ 2025.12.31
What is ‘Beyond 5G (B5G) mobile communications’?
- B5G mobile communication system is expected to be an intelligent autonomous system capable of meeting the dynamic network requirements such as ultra-high rate, super-intelligent, and hyper-realistic communications.
- ?The network must have the ability to learn and predict itself and to reconfigure all available resources.
- ?New resources, which are expected to be used to meet the various requirements of B5G mobile communication systems, include CPU (computing), memory (caching), space (thousands of antennas) and frequency (sub-THz).
Therefore, it is necessary to develop innovative technology that utilizes new resources of B5G mobile communication system.
What are the core technologies for ‘B5G mobile communications’?
In order to commercialize the 5G mobile communication system in 2020, the following key technologies are being actively developed.
- Ultra dense network (UDN).
- Massive MIMO.
- Millimeter wave communications.
?In this project, to innovate the above 5G technologies, we develop the following three core technologies of B5G system.
- Convergence of 3C (communications, computing, caching) technologies to efficiently utilize all kinds of resources in UDN.
- Intelligent and low-powered ultra massive (UM)-MIMO using thousands of antennas.
- Sub-THz communications using a wide bandwidth of tens of GHz.
-Keywords: Beyond 5G; Ultra-high rate/super-intelligent/hyper-realistic communications; Edge computing; UM-MIMO; Sub-THz communications
-Members: Girim Kwon, Seongbae Jun, Jeongju Jee, Hyunwoo Nam, Joongsub Choi, Seonyong Kim, Hyunsoo Son, Hyewon Yang.
-Associated research teams: Prof. Hyuncheol Park and Prof. Dongho Cho in KAIST, Prof. Wan Choi in Seoul National University, and Prof. Juyong Lee in KAIST Institute.
-Research funded by Ministry of Science and ICT (https://www.msit.go.kr/web/main/main.do).